Monday, September 17, 2012

Small Victories and Epic Backfires

A friend of mine about to have a baby started a family blog so friends and family could follow their journey into parenthood.  I loved the idea SO much that I copied her, thanks Andrea. :)
I wanted to start this blog out with a beautiful story of our family and how we all came to be.  But, today was so epic in parenthood that I just have to share.  I will write the "beautiful blog" later.

Today, Monday morning, I woke up energized and ready for a good day.  Jeff and I are both on our game this morning.  We take turns eating breakfast and entertaining the girls so we can BOTH get showers.  This is a rare occurrence these days.  I decided it was laundry day cause I had the energy and so I began a load and got the others ready to go.  We also needed groceries and knowing if I wanted to continue to stay on board with my newly adopted healthy eating routine I needed to hit the store before dinner time, which meant I had to tackle it with Sierra (21 months) and Peyton (8 weeks)...ALONE!  For those of you who have a couple kids, you know why this is such a feat to take on.  But, alas, I finally made it out the door...it only took us an hour to get out (typical).  Peyton fed and a bag of popcorn and graham crackers for Sierra to last us through the store and we were ready.

We can do this Mom!
We made it through! Sierra ate popcorn and graham crackers for lunch, the whole time we shopped, but I made it through the grocery store.  I also ONLY bought what was on my list and looked through all the prices and got the sale items, the best deals and healthiest options.  When I left the store and I didn't have a meltdown from either child, amazing for being 30 minutes into Sierra's nap, and I didn't overspend or overindulge...I felt on top of the world!!!  This is a mighty victory in mommy land!

We got home, unloaded groceries and I put Sierra down for a nap.  I made lunch and sat down to feed Peyton and myself.  Yes, simultaneously...you learn how to multi-task VERY quickly with children.  Peyton ate fine for a minute or two and then just sat back and smiled and smiled.  She let out a giggle and was SO happy.  I smelt fresh, breastmilk, baby poop (distinct smell) and new she needed a new diaper, but I assumed since it wasn't really strong that there wasn't a lot and she could wait for a few minutes.  She was so happy and I got to finish my lunch.  I picked her up and patted her back and kissed her cheek and just snuggled a bit with her.  Jeff came home for lunch and I got to tell him about my, very proud and successful, shopping trip.  He was in the kitchen making some more to eat when it all happened.  

All of sudden I felt warm and wet.  Instantly I knew I should have changed the diaper, but had no idea it was that bad.  I held Peyton away from me as she is continuing to grin from ear to ear and giggle with pure baby satisfaction and slowly looked down to see the damage.  I was covered from chest to knees in fresh, yellow, baby poo.  I said aloud, "oh...my...gosh."  I hear Jeff from the kitchen, "what?"  I stand up, silent, walk into the kitchen, still holding my very happy little baby away from me as her feet are dangling in the air and her face all squished up between my hands, and I just looked at Jeff.  He looks at me, laughs and says. "Oh, wow!"  He thinks for a second and then goes on to say, "And that's my que to leave."  What?!?  Seriously!?!  You're going to abandon me like this?  Yep, he is.  I am a stay at home mom and he needs to go to work.  So, off I go to the bedroom to strip both of us down and throw the clothes in the washer...and of course FINALLY change the diaper now that it's too late.  

As Jeff is getting on his bike to head back to work I look at him and say, "Why do I even bother taking a shower?"  He says back as he rides away, "I don't know either.  You just shouldn't!  I love you, by."  Haha, I love my husband!  He is so amazing and I am so happy that I don't have the pressures to be perfect around him.  He loves me for who I am, and that is priceless and precious for every woman!


I look back at Peyton who is lying on the ground still in complete contentment and still wearing her exploded diaper and I just laugh out loud as I sit down to change it.  I do love being a stay at home mom.  Even these epic moments that seem like the worst thing in the world are enjoyable because it's my new job! 

5 comments:

  1. beautiful pic of peyton....blogs are fun...keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! i think i'll be reading more, THIS way i can keep up to date with whats happening cause you are rubbish at keeping in touch. gone are the days of weekly phone calls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I am bad at keeping up...but...it goes both ways. ;) This way you know how crazy my life is and maybe have some grace... If that's somewhere in your blood...Ha!!

      Love ya!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you started a blog! I am excited to keep up with your little family :)

    ReplyDelete